Finding the best WordPress hosting can be a painful process. Finding a solution that will do justice to your content, offer rock-solid reliability, and hopefully not break the bank is a task that requires lots of research.
The good news is, now that you’re here, you don’t have to do any of that research. Because we did all the work for you by testing the best WordPress hosting platform available today.
In this article we feature some of the best WordPress hosting companies out there:
- WP Engine: Fast and reliable hosting with excellent performance
- SiteGround: Best overall features, affordable pricing, and excellent support
- Kinsta: Reliable hosting with great features and beginner-friendly dashboard
- Bluehost: Affordable hosting with unlimited space and bandwidth
- Page.ly: Advanced WordPress hosting with dedicated system resources
- Flywheel: Cloud hosting powered by Google Cloud
- Dreamhost: Managed hosting optimized for WordPress
- Hostgator: Cloud hosting with unlimited storage
- InMotion: Affordable hosting with unlimited space
We went ahead and created an account with each and every one of these platforms. We setup a test website and ran some tests to see which one offers the best performance.
Keep reading to find our results.
Our findings reveal that SiteGround and WP Engine are the clear winners for WordPress users (last updated April 2020).
|Avg. load time (LoadImpact, approx.) /ms||400 (.4s — After caching)||260 (.26s)||0.9s|
|Bandwidth||unlimited||25,000 visits / month||–|
|Custom Support (response time /m)||0.25||11||12|
|Cost per month||$3.95||$29||$4.99|
|Visit:||GET SITEGROUND||GO TO WPENGINE||GO TO INMOTION|
SiteGround offers unmatched prices for their WordPress hosting services, which was enough to put them on our radar. However, it was their WordPress-friendly features that sealed the deal, such as a free wildcard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate, fast support, and daily backups with up to 30 copies in the storage on their GrowBig plan (which we consider to be their best feature). In short, Siteground is perfect for bloggers & small business owners.
WPEngine is one of the most expensive WordPress hosting providers on the market, but its quality more than makes up for the high cost. This WordPress-centric web host is especially well-suited to rapidly growing sites. In addition, they offer enterprise-grade security features, albeit at a cost of disallowing few popular plugins due to security vulnerabilities. You can get started with their cheapest plan, then upgrade as necessary.
We’re going to be running the rule over nine hosting providers in particular, each offering packages specifically tailored for WordPress users.
How We Tested Hosting Platforms
Unlike many other hosting guides that are biased in favor of one particular provider from the get-go, we’ve reviewed each of the hosts totally independently. We also used popular and reputable website testing tools such as LoadImpact and Pingdom Speed Test tools to check website performance after setting up a test site in each web hosting platform.
Let’s start drilling into detail and look at the different types of WordPress hosting that are actually available for your site.
1. SiteGround (www.SiteGround.com)
- Price: $3.95 per month
- Website Loading Speed: 342ms
- Best Feature: Fast customer service
SiteGround’s shared hosting packages are suitable for sites of all manner of sites but they also provide WordPress-specific options which include one-click installs and auto-updates.
SiteGround offers daily backups, server isolation and 24/7 support on all three WordPress packages with pricing ranging from $9.95 per month to $29.95 per month. Specialist features such as one-click WordPress Staging and GIT support are available on the higher-tiered packages.
Main Benefits of SiteGround Hosting
- Best customer service: Siteground customer support team is very fast and responsive. They’ll even offer to setup your website for you.
- Free daily backups: Siteground keeps your website backed up every day, just in case.
- SuperCacher: Siteground uses its own unique caching system to speed up hosted websites.
- Free CDN & SSL: You’ll get a free SSL certificate with your hosting plan as well as CDN integration.
- Pingdom Speed Test: 942ms
- Load Impact Test: 1s
- DNS Response Time: 17ms
“Variable” is probably the word to describe this somewhat disappointing graph from the LoadImpact tests.
Peaking at nearly three seconds, results tended to stay in or around the one-second mark.
Our 189kB page came in with a load speed of 942ms, and scored 75% on Pingdom’s performance grade. It took 638ms to load with Developer Tools.
The average DNS response time meanwhile came in at 17ms.
How Fast is SiteGround Customer Service?
Siteground customer support team took about 25 seconds to respond to our live chat question. They were able to solve our problem in just 3 replies. Fastest among all the hosting platforms.
- Startup: $3.95 /mo for hosting 1 website with 10GB space
- GrowBig: $5.95 /mo for hosting unlimited sites with 20GB space
- GoGeek: $11.95 /mo for hosting unlimited sites with 30GB space
2. WPEngine (www.WPEngine.com)
- Price: $28 per month
- Website Loading Speed: 350ms
- Best Feature: Best website performance
WP Engine describes its product as simply “the best WordPress hosting” – a bold claim to kick off with.
The company sells itself on robust infrastructure, site speed and security along with exceptional support. With over 220,000 currently active WordPress installations and serious funding behind it, WP Engine is very much one of the big beasts in the WordPress hosting space.
WP Engine offer a number of standard packages split out by traffic, storage and number of sites that can be hosted. These range in price from $28 to $232 per month. For our tests, we ran on the entry-level Personal package.
Main Benefits of WPEngine Hosting
- EverCache: This in-house built caching technology help speed up your website performance.
- Free exclusive themes: With WPEngine you get access to a collection of over 30 exclusive themes built using Genesis framework.
- Automatic updates and backups: WPEngine provides automatic WordPress system updates and daily backups.
- Free SSL and CDN: You also get free HTTPS and CDN for your website.
- Pingdom Speed Test: 350ms
- Load Impact Test: 260ms
- DNS Response Time: 4ms
With only a couple of blips, our WP Engine WordPress hosting loaded at around 260ms with LoadImpact.
The 290kB page loaded in just 350ms on Pingdom, earning a performance grade of 75%.
It’s marked as faster than 99% of other sites tested with the same tool. With developer tools, a full page load took just 269ms.
The DNS response time averaged out at 4ms.
How Fast is WPEngine Customer Service?
It took 11 minutes for WPEngine team to respond to our live chat request. But they were fast enough to solve our issue in just 4 replies.
- Startup: $28 /mo for hosting 1 website with 10GB space
- Growth: $92 /mo for hosting 5 websites with 20GB space
- Scale: $232 /mo for hosting 15 websites with 30GB space
3. Kinsta (www.Kinsta.com)
- Price: $30 per month
- Website Loading Speed:
- Best Feature: Best managed WordPress hosting
Kinsta is one of the rising stars in the managed WordPress hosting industry. It offers a range of services for all sizes of websites at an unmatched price range.
Even though Kinsta is a fairly new contender to the industry, it’s already being recognized as a solid hosting provider. And is trusted by major brands such as Ubisoft, Ricoh, and more.
Their pricing starts at $30 per month for hosting one website and goes all the way up to $1500 a month for hosting 150 websites.
Main Benefits of Kinsta Hosting
- WordPress-optimized architecture: Kinsta uses state-of-the-art technology such as Nginx to provide faster performance to hosted websites.
- Automatic scaling: Kinsta also uses automatic scaling to keep your site live during traffic spikes.
- Hack fix and backups: In addition to full security protection, Kinsta also offers to fix your website in case of a hack. And provide daily backups as well.
- User-friendly dashboard: Kinsta has a beginner-friendly dashboard for managing all your websites in one place.
- Pingdom Speed Test: 173ms
- Load Impact Test: 500ms
- DNS Response Time: 9ms
Kinsta had one of the fastest loading speeds clocking in at 173ms in our Pingdom speed test. It also scored a performance grade of 96.
On the LoadImpact test, our Kinsta test site managed to stay stable during the entire traffic load. And kept an average load time of 500ms.
The average DNS response time was 9ms.
How Fast is Kinsta Customer Service?
Kinsta customer support team took 2 minutes and 11 seconds to respond to our live chat. And provided a solution to our question in just 2 replies. Not the fastest response time in our list but fair.
- Starter: $30 /mo for hosting 1 website with 10GB space
- Pro: $60 /mo for hosting 2 websites with 20GB space
- Business 1: $100 /mo for hosting 5 websites with 30GB space
- Business 2: $200 /mo for hosting 10 websites with 40GB space
4. InMotion (www.InMotionHosting.com)
- Price: $4.99 per month
- Website Loading Speed: 0.48 seconds
- Best Feature: Affordable pricing
InMotion is one of the biggest names in hosting. Their WordPress plans are particularly attractive due to budget-friendly prices.
While InMotion doesn’t excel in any particular area, it offers an overall decent WordPress experience. Loading speeds aren’t exceptional but aren’t too bad either. Their support team is friendly and knowledgeable, but often take ages to answer. If we had to sum up InMotion in a single word, it would be “average”.
Their cheapest plan comes in at a surprisingly low $4.99 per month. For the features they offer, that’s one of the best prices around. As long as you don’t expect exceptional performance, then you’ll be happy with them.
Main Benefits of InMotion Hosting
- SSD and Nginx: Powered with SSD storage and Nginx, InMotion offers faster website load times for websites.
- Automatic updates: InMotion offers automatic updates for both WordPress system and plugins.
- Free backups: Your website will get backed up automatically, every day.
- Free SSL, CDN, and Domain: You get a free domain name, SSL, and CDN integration with all accounts.
How Fast is InMotion Hosting?
- Pingdom Speed Test: 0.48 seconds
- Load Impact Test: 0.8 seconds
- DNS Response Time: 32ms
InMotion came out looking decent during the Load Impact test, with an approximate average of 0.8 seconds and a couple of moderate spikes above the 1-second range. Pretty good for a budget WordPress web host.
As is to be expected, those times came down during the Pingdom test. Our website took 0.48 seconds to load and scored a modest 63 on their performance grade.
Meanwhile, Chrome Developer tools clocked its loading time at approximately one second. That’s a wide variance, but still within the range of our tests.
InMotion’s DNS response time clocked in at a respectable (but not blazing fast) 32ms.
How Fast is InMotion Customer Service?
InMotion customer support team was able to respond to our live chat within 12 minutes. They helped solve our problem in 5 replies.
- WP-1000S: $4.99 /mo for hosting 1 website with 40GB space
- WP-2000S: $7.99 /mo for hosting 2 websites with 80GB space
- WP-3000S: $10.99 /mo for hosting 3 websites with 120GB space
5. Bluehost (www.Bluehost.com)
- Price: $19.95 per month
- Website Loading Speed: 2794ms
- Best Feature: Unmetered space and bandwidth
Bluehost took quite a beating over the years for being an unreliable web hosting provider and for their poor customer support services. However, the platform has drastically improved since then.
Handling over 2 million websites is not an easy job. Bluehost does its best to provide a good service to all of its customers. Even though it’s not perfect at times, Bluehost is now a reliable platform for hosting WordPress websites. Their WordPress managed hosting plans start at $19.95 per month with the freedom to host unlimited websites.
Main Benefits of Bluehost Hosting
- Unlimited everything: With Bluehost, you get unlimited space and bandwidth to make unlimited websites.
- SSD storage: With SSD servers, Bluehost promises faster website performance.
- Free SSL and CDN: You also get free HTTPS and CDN with all plans.
- Security: Bluehost also provides a service to detect malware and remove them from your website.
- Pingdom Speed Test: 2794ms
- Load Impact Test: 640ms
- DNS Response Time: 78ms
Bluehost’s results with LoadImpact stuck at around 640ms even as requests increased. Alas, good performance did not last.
Bluehost delivered a not-so-wonderful set of results on Pingdom, taking 2794ms to serve the content – although still managing 75% on the performance grade.
With Developer Tools, results were somewhat better (if still not stunning), taking 1150ms to serve the page. DNS average response time was 78ms, way out compared to all the other hosts.
How Fast is Bluehost Customer Service?
Bluehost took 40 minutes to reply to our live chat request. And it took them 7 replies to solve our issue. Slowest among all our contenders.
- Build: $19.95 /mo for hosting unlimited websites and daily backups
- Grow: $29.95 /mo for hosting unlimited websites and Bluehost SEO tools
- Scale: $49.95 /mo for hosting unlimited websites and unlimited backups
6. Pagely (www.Pagely.com)
- Price: $499 per month
- Website Loading Speed: 731ms
- Best Feature: Dedicated resources
Page.ly doesn’t beat around the bush with its marketing claims, billing itself as “the most scalable WordPress platform in the world”. They boast an enviable roster of clients including giants such as Disney, Twitter, and Facebook.
We used their entry-level Business hosting package for the purposes of this article but a suite of other options are on offer ranging from $499 per month all the way up to a whopping $2500 per month.
Page.ly make use of Amazon Web Servers (AWS) to power their hosting with advanced security and performance systems in place in the form of PressARMOR, PressCDN, and PressCACHE.
WordPress-related tasks can be carried out from Page.ly’s Atomic Core control panel.
Main Benefits of Page.ly Hosting
- Scalability: With hosting powered by Amazon AWS servers, you’ll be able to freely scale your website as it grows.
- Dedicated resources: Each hosting plan receives its own VPS with dedicated resources.
- Daily backups: You will also get free automatic backups
- SSL acceleration: With this technology, your website performs faster and offers better protection.
- Pingdom Speed Test: 731ms
- Load Impact Test: 115ms
- DNS Response Time: 20ms
There was a slight trend upwards for Page.ly on LoadImpact in response time as more requests were sent and a couple of big jumps along the way.
Response times tended to stick in a range between 80ms and 115ms overall.
Our 291kB page loaded in 731ms. This earned it a performance grade of 75%, better than 94% sites tested with Pingdom. 459ms was the result with Developer Tools.
The average DNS response time meanwhile, was 20ms.
How Fast is Page.ly Customer Service?
Pagely only took 7 minutes to respond to our live chat. They solved our problem in 3 replies.
- Performance: $499 per month with 50GB SSD storage and 4GB RAM
- Performance+: $999 per month with 50GB SSD storage and 8GB RAM
- Scale: $2500 per month with custom SSD storage and custom RAM
7. Flywheel (www.getflywheel.com)
- Price: $23 per month
- Website Loading Speed: 1580ms
- Best Feature: Optimized WordPress hosting
Flywheel has pitched its services firmly at designers and creative agencies and offers advanced site collaboration tools and reseller options.
Flywheel offers a range of pricing options to cater to various scenarios along with WordPress-tuned servers, staging site options and easy transfer billing to clients. On a pay-per-site basis, pricing ranges from $23 per month to $266 per month. Bulk plans covering 10 and 30 sites are available at $100 and $250 per month respectively.
Main Benefits of Flywheel Hosting
- Powered by Google Cloud: With the power of the Google Cloud platform, Flywheel offers faster and reliable hosting for websites of all sizes.
- Flycache: Flywheel’s in-house caching system also optimizes websites for better performance.
- Free backups and security: Flywheel also provides free nightly backups and protection from malware and hackers.
- Free migration: Flywheel will even offer to migrate your site from another host for free.
- Pingdom Speed Test: 1580ms
- Load Impact Test: 1000ms
- DNS Response Time: 4ms
The response speed on LoadImpact was a little unstable for Flywheel and tended to increase with more requests.
Overall, it stayed around the 1000ms mark.
The 290kB page took 1580ms to load up, scoring 86% in Pingdom’s performance ratings. It was faster than 66% of websites testing on the site.
It took 2776ms with Developer Tools, however. Flywheel’s average DNS response time came in at a speedy 4ms.
How Fast is Flywheel Customer Service?
Flywheel took 15 minutes to respond to our live chat and it took them 5 replies to solve the problem we were having.
- Starter: $23 /mo for hosting 1 website with 5GB space
- Freelance: $105 /mo for hosting 10 websites with 20GB space
- Agency: $266 /mo for hosting 30 websites with 50GB space
8. DreamHost (www.DreamHost.com)
- Price: $14.95 per month
- Website Loading Speed: 1.25s
- Best Feature: Affordable shared hosting price
DreamHost is unique in the WordPress hosting world. They offer both a shared plan and a managed one – both aimed towards WordPress users – with a single payment structure for each. Both plans enable you to host unlimited sites, as well as all the space and bandwidth you’ll need.
It could be said that most hosts offering one-size-fits-all plans tend to provide a service that’s less focused, but DreamHost manages to keep their standards high.
Their shared plan costs $2.59 per month, while their managed alternative costs $14.95 for the same period.
Main Benefits of DreamHost Hosting
- Advanced caching: DreamHost uses an advanced caching system to provide faster page loading speeds.
- Free backups: DreamHost offers both automated and on-demand website backups.
- SSD storage: All servers are equipped with SSDs to provide the best performance.
- Premium support: DreamHost customer support team consists of highly trained experts to solve your problems faster.
How Fast is DreamHost Hosting?
- Pingdom Speed Test: 1.25s
- Load Impact Test: 3s
- DNS Response Time: 37ms
Our Load Impact test returned concerning results for DreamHost, with an average request-response time of nearly three seconds – way above the norm compared to the other hosts in this list.
Over at Pingdom, our findings were a little better. Dreamhost scored a performance grade of 77 (which is solid), and the page loaded in 1.25 seconds. On the other hand, a quick test using the Developer Tools took 1.95 seconds – a small but significant increase.
As far as DNS response times go, DreamHost came in at an average of 37 milliseconds.
How Fast is DreamHost Customer Service?
Dreamhost responded to our live chat within 6 minutes. They also solved our problem in 4 replies.
- DreamPress Basic: $14.95 /month with 30GB SSD space and unmetered bandwidth
- DreamPress Plus: $24.95 /month with 60GB SSD space and unmetered bandwidth
- DreamPress Pro: $71.95 /month with 120GB SSD space and unmetered bandwidth
9. Hostgator Cloud (www.HostGator.com)
- Price: $5.95 per month
- Website Loading Speed: 1.64s
- Best Feature: Cloud hosting
HostGator is a renowned name in the web hosting world, but not a beloved one. Lots of experienced users tend to look down on their hosting plans, but they’ve now come out swinging with a strong offering for WordPress users – their WordPress Cloud Hosting plans.
Their basic plan obtained decent results during our tests (more of which later), and they start at a reasonable $5.95 per month, going up to $9.95 per month.
Main Benefits of Hostgator Hosting
- Cloud hosting: Hostgator boasts 2.5X faster load times thanks to its cloud architecture and low-density servers.
- Unlimited storage: You also get unmetered storage space with all plans.
- Free migration: Hostgator offers free migration services for moving your site from a different host.
- Free CDN and SSL: You can optimize your site for better protection using free SSL and CDN as well.
How Fast is Hostgator Hosting?
- Pingdom Speed Test: 1.6s
- Load Impact Test: 1.3s
- DNS Response Time: 40ms
HostGator didn’t fare that well either during the Load Impact test, with an approximate average of 1.3 seconds throughout.
As for Pingdom, our test site scored a performance grade of 63 and loaded in 1.64 seconds. Meanwhile, the Developer Tools caused our site to load in 1.83 seconds.
Finally, HostGator’s average DNS response time came out at 40ms. It’s not stellar, but definitely not the worst we’ve seen thus far.
How Fast is Hostgator Customer Service?
Hostgator customer support team was fast enough to respond to our live chat in 3 minutes. And solved our issue in 2 replies.
- Starter: $5.95 /mo for hosting 1 website with unlimited space and 1GB backups
- Standard: $7.95 /mo for hosting 2 websites with unlimited space and 2GB backups
- Business: $9.95 /mo for hosting 3 websites with unlimited space and 3GB backups
WordPress Hosting Customer Support Analysis
Speed and cost aren’t the only metrics that matter when it comes to determining a good WordPress hosting provider. In fact, we would argue that customer support is just as important as any other metric when looking for a suitable host.
To determine how each provider fared in this criterion, we went ahead and asked each one a simple question via live chat: How do I install a new plugin on my WordPress site? Once we received their replies, each provider was scored according to their response time and how many responses it took them to guide us through the process. Finally, we gave each host a subjective score out of five. Let’s see how they fared:
|Response times /m||11||7||0.25||15||40||6||3||12||2|
|Number of responses until resolution||4||3||3||5||7||4||2||5||2|
|Overall score (0-5)||3.5||4||5||3||1||3||5||3||5|
Needless to say, this test provided us with some surprising results. For one, SiteGround absolutely blew away the competition by responding in less than half a minute, and promptly answering our question. Secondly, HostGator offered a quality of support that was unexpected considering their reputation.
Moving on, DreamHost and Pagely scored highly overall, with decent response times and knowledgeable support staff. WP Engine and Flywheel fell behind a little, but it’s worth noting that their response times were still acceptable. Considering how many queries these hosts deal with, it’s a testament to their dedication that they respond in a matter of minutes.
That being said, one host in particular disappointed us in terms of response times and quality – Bluehost. Although the support agent who chatted with us did resolve our query eventually, their responses were generally insufficient and curt, which led to us spending more time than necessary rephrasing our request.
Overall Hosting Platform Comparison
We’ve summarized the results of our tests in the following table with leading results highlighted in green and lower-ranking results in red.
|Web Hosting||Cost||Load Time||SSL||Email Service||Free Domain|
Which Hosting Platform Is Best?
WP Engine came out on top in the end for us (for managed hosting) but, having kicked the tires of all eight providers, we were pleasantly surprised at the overall quality of offerings on display.
If you are looking for a more reasonable option, SiteGround is the 2nd best choice. They have almost the same features as WPEngine and come up with super-fast support.
Compared to the dark days of even five or six years ago, it really is remarkable how much better options for simply and affordably hosting a WordPress site have gotten.
As we mentioned at the top of the article,managed WordPress hosting really is the way to go unless you’re bringing considerable server-level expertise to the table. All hosting providers surveyed performed admirably in their respective ways.
WordPress Hosting: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The followings are some of the most common questions and answers that’ll help you understand WordPress hosting a little bit better.
Is WordPress Really Free To Use?
WordPress software is completely free to download and use. Make sure that you download it from wordpress.org website. When using a WordPress hosting provider, you can install it directly from your hosting account dashboard. It only takes a single mouse click.
Do I Need Hosting For WordPress?
Yes. Even though WordPress software is free to use, you need to install the software on a server to setup your website using the software. And to make your website accessible to everyone on the Internet. There are many different types of hosting you can use to setup a WordPress website at different price ranges.
Are There Free WordPress Hosting Websites?
Unless you setup a website with official WordPress.com, which puts lots of restrictions and limitations, you won’t find free hosting to make a professional WordPress website. Even if you come across any free hosting sites, avoid them. Because they will only offer slow hosting and fill your website with advertisements.
How To Backup WordPress Website?
Managed WordPress web hosting platforms offer free daily backups of your website. However, it’s always a good idea to have an alternate option. You can use a free plugin to setup an automatic backup system for your website.
Can I Add Translations In WordPress?
Yes. Using third-party plugins such as WPML and Polylang you can easily add multilingual support to your website. And offer translations in dozens of languages.
Difference Between WordPress Hosting And Shared Hosting
The main difference between WordPress hosting and shared hosting is that WordPress hosting includes servers that are specially optimized to boost the functionality of WordPress software. They also include special caching systems to speed up your websites. Shared hosting, on the other hand, doesn’t provide any special features but offers affordable pricing.
How To Move WordPress Website To A New Host?
This is a complicated process that involves multiple steps and it can also differ depending on the type of hosting you use. It’s best to contact your web hosting provider and ask for their help. Most WordPress web hosting providers will even offer to move your site for free.
How To Transfer WordPress.com To WordPress.org
If you started a blog on WordPress.com and want to transform it to a self-hosted blog, you can do so by transferring all your data to a new hosting account.
Click here to view posts you may like.